The power was out last Sunday due to a surprise dump of April snow:
My neighbour actually saw electricity sparking off the power lines!
I am very grateful that:
- the trees and the garage by the sparks did not catch fire
- City crews were out right away
- I got to go out for breakfast and
- the only suitable indoor activity was reading a book and taking a nap; both of which I enjoyed immensely.
I am also grateful that the pansies I planted survived being buried under a foot of snow:
This also meant that:
- I did not try and solder that day (no power); and
- I did not try and use the Dremel tool that day (no power).
The power did come back on in the afternoon. After some chores and a rather boring supper I tried my hand at using a soldering iron. This did not work. Perhaps the soldering iron is too old and does not generate enough heat? Perhaps the metal pieces I tried to solder just aren’t conducive to soldering? (this is the most likely culprit) Or perhaps it won’t matter how many You-tube videos I watch I just won’t get the hang of it!
I will try using some solder and a torch one day. I will also try using that lovely Dremel tool one day soon.
For now I am very happy with the heavy duty gel medium from Golden that holds all my sculptures together.
On Tuesday I was the recipient of many treasures:
- a box in the mail from my sister-in-law filled with beautiful jewelry bits (yes!)
- a message from a friend asking if I wanted a bag of her no-longer-needed jewelry (yes!)
- the perfect found earring from my husband (who collects many useful and cool things for me on his walks – yes!)
Here’s a picture of the box and bag of treasures:
Here’s a picture of Key 56/5000:
This is the first key I made since making my 5000 key vow. It took awhile to find the right bits for it; especially for the centre. First I tried this pearl surrounded by diamonds:
But on Tuesday morning it didn’t look right so I took it off and tried this coloured piece of glass instead:
The coloured glass was quite a bit better but still not totally right.
Then my husband came home from his walk with this crushed earring:
It was perfect! And Key 56 was complete.
Thank you Treasure Tuesday for all the unexpected gifts!
And thank you weather for warming up and changing my yard to this: